The Kolkata Chapter of MSSI was established on 23 July, 1990 under the initiative of Voltas Ltd, Calcutta with the help from Mr. Tobaccowala along with Mrs. Sheila Chitnis and Mrs. R.S. Fazelbhoy. The Chapter was registered on 16 September, 1992. Mr. Rusi Gimi was our first Chairman and Mrs. Zarin Gimi, his wife was our chief patron. After Mr. Gimi’s death in 1992, Mr. R.N. Mukherjee, General Manager of Voltas, became the next chairman. Mrs. Ayrton had then joined as temporary secretary. In 1993, Mr. T.C. Dutta joined as Chairman of MSSI and later on Mr. Anand Chopra as Hony. Secretary. After Mr. Dutta’s retirement Mr. Sujoy Chakraborty joined as Chairman in the year 2003.
Our 26 years of existence is crowded with many events. One such spectacular occasion was the motor bike cavalcade in the year 1994. It was organised to greet an Australian couple (one of them an MSP) on a world tour on their motor bike to create awareness amongst the people of the countries they were biking through. They were escorted from Shyambazar to the Chowringhee auditorium of the Nehru Children’s Museum. This was followed by a lunch at the Calcutta Press Club. The show was patronised by the then transport minister of government of West Bengal, the now late Shri Subhas Chakraborty.
- Organising Home Physiotherapy for all MSPs Home Nursing.
- Medical Seminar – Involving National and International Delegates.
- Publication of News Letters, Booklets and souvenirs.
- Financial Help to Underprivileged MS Persons..
- Free Annual Medical Camp.
- Appointments with Doctors.
- Distribution of Medicines.
- Other Workshops: on alternate medicine.
- Recreational Programmes.
- Identification of new MSPs at Hospitals.
- Birthday Wishes: – Gifts and Prizes.
- Home Visits.
- Medical Reimbursements.
- Aids and Equipments: Free Aids & Free distribution of Incontinence products.
- Public Awareness & Fundraising.
- Articles in Newspapers & Magazines & Talks to create awareness.
- Documentaries on MS Exhibitions & Concerts for raising fund.
- Musical Concerts.
- Anand Chopra (CA) – Chairman
- Raj Kumar Agarwal (CA) – Vice-Chairman
- Anil Agarwal – Vice-Chairman
- Anuradha Goswami – Secretary
- Anirban Banerjee – Jt. Secretary
- Samir Chakroborty – Treasurer
- Tarun Kumar Saha – Jt. Treasurer
- Swapna Ghosh – Committee Member
- Manmohon Rakshit – Committee Member
- Raj Kumar Bery – Committee Member
- Prantosh Kumar Chatterjee – Committee Member
- Parimal Patra – Committee Member